Overseas Loan Fund Details
The purpose of the Memorial Student Center (MSC) Overseas Loan Fund is to make interest free loans available for the structured international travel of Texas A&M University students at the College Station Campus.
Administration of the Memorial Student Center Overseas Loan shall be through the Memorial Student Center L.T. Jordan Institute for International Awareness, and the Short Term Loan Department of Student Financial Aid, and the Texas A&M University Fiscal Office.
- Undergraduate students enrolled at Texas A&M University (College Station, Texas) at the time of application who are pursuing 12 credit hours of course-work and have a cumulative GPR of at least 2.5.
- Graduate students enrolled at Texas A&M University (College Station, Texas) at the time of application who are pursuing at least 9 credit hours of course-work and have a cumulative GPR of at least 3.0 for graduate course-work.
- Students must be returning to Texas A&M University after the trip.
Preference Will Be Given To:
- First-time travelers overseas.
- Travel that is cultural in purpose and enhances the applicants’ career goals shall receive preferential consideration.
- For example, travel in which the student will gain a greater exposure to the country, its people, and customs, such as study, living, or internship abroad, rather than a purely touristic experience.)
- Applicants who have two or more sources of funding for their proposed trip. Loans from the Memorial Student Center Overseas Loan Fund are considered supplemental to the borrower’s other sources (e.g.: family, savings, loans, grants).
Application and Selection Process
- Applications are due anytime October through April with a final deadline of April 30th. Because of Spring Break, March applications are due the last week in February. If applications are turned in after this deadline your application will be held over until the next months’ interviews. Applications take three weeks to process after the interview.
- Applications should be turned in to Room 2293 of the MSC or emailed to Jordan Office Associate, at Renae Vargo.
- The Selection Committee shall schedule and conduct interviews for all applicants each month during the fall and spring semesters. Applicants will be notified via email upon turning in the application and interviews will be conducted at a set time that works with the student’s schedule.
- The Selection Committee shall be generally comprised of the following:
- Director of the Memorial Student Center Overseas (MSC) Loan Fund (a student officer of the Jordan Institute) and his/her appointees.
- Jordan Institute student chairperson or designee
- MSC Council Executive Vice President of Programs or his/her designee (student)
- Director of the MSC L.T. Jordan Institute for International Awareness or his/her designee. (staff)
- Applicants shall be notified of the interview outcome by mail, as well as by telephone, within five working days after the final interview.
Loan Amount, Disbursement, and Repayment
Amount and Disbursement of Loan
Upon the Selection Committee’s approval, the loan recipient secures an endorsement of eligibility from Texas A&M University’s Student Financial Aid Office. The student completes a contract and release form which includes all rules, regulations and requirements. The loan draft will be processed and made available by the Fiscal Department, Texas A&M University. The average overseas loan ranges up to $1,000.00.
Repayment of Loan
Repayment is for the loan principal only; no interest is compounded. A repayment schedule is negotiated for each loan recipient by the Memorial Student Center Overseas Loan Fund Director. Loans are given out as payments are received, so it is encouraged that the repayment begins approximately two months after return from the trip. In the case of withdrawal from the University, repayment shall begin immediately. Loan recipients must completely repay the principal prior to graduation.
In every case repayment shall be completed by the end of the second calendar year following the date of the first scheduled payment. The Fiscal Department of Texas A&M University supervises repayment of the loans in accordance with all applicable policies and procedures.
If you do not attend your trip, you are expected to repay the loan immediately, in its full amount.
The interest-free Overseas Loans are financed by:
- Repayment of loans by loan recipients
- Voluntary donations from former students and past loan recipients who wish to encourage travel abroad